Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oreo Truffles Gone Bad

I LOVE cooking shows - the Food Network is one of my favorite channels (much to some of my family members' frustration). ;-) I enjoy watching Rachael Ray and, while browsing her website one day, I came across what looked like a delicious dessert - Oreo truffles! Does that sound incredible or what?! So tonight was the night I was going to make this lovely dessert.

It started out fine, until I came to.....the chocolate. Now I haven't really made much with chocolate when it involves melting it first. I'm notorious for messing things up in the kitchen, but I wanted to prove that I could make something and not goof I was trying to avoid asking Mom for too much help - I mean, how hard can it be to melt chocolate in the microwave? Apparently much harder than I thought!

After leaving it in there for about 4 1/2 minutes, Mom suddenly said, "Something smells like it's burning!" I ran over to the microwave - yep, it was the chocolate! =) There was a bit of smoke, a horrible smell, and some very burnt chocolate. Needless to say, I did not finish the truffles.

But, rest assured, they will be finished tonight, as Dad and I ran to Fareway to get more chocolate - and I will not burn it this time!! =)

Anyone else have any funny (and possibly embarrassing) cooking stories to share?? Come on now - I told my story! ;-)

By the way, I found out later (AFTER this whole incident) that they have these handy little things on the back of the chocolate bag called DIRECTIONS for melting the chocolate! Who would've thought?? ;-)